In Brief: March 16, 2015

Man shot with flare gun wounded

A man was charged with assault on Saturday after he allegedly shot a victim with a flare gun, according to The State. 

According to the police, Charles Bradwell Jr. got into a verbal altercation with the victim which then turned physical. Bradwell went into his residence and came back outside with a flare gun, which he used to shoot the victim. According to the police spokesman, the police arrived to find Bradwell and the victim who was suffering from an upper body injury.

The victim was transported to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Bradwell was taken to the Alvin S. Glenn Detention center for holding and charged with assault and battery.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Passengers safe after boat capsizes on Congaree near Blossom Street Bridge

The Columbia Fire Department’s Swiftwater Rescue team conducted a water rescue on Friday after a boat capsized on the Congaree River, according to WLTX. 

Two of the boat’s occupants managed to get to shore, but the other two were stranded in the middle of the river near the Blossom Street Bridge.

The Swiftwater Rescue team, which is responsible for handling these riverfront emergencies, got the other two victims to shore.

The team is under the direction of the West Columbia Police Department in conjunction with the Fire Department.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Columbia police donating bikes to veterans

The Columbia police are donating bikes to help veterans in need of a ride to work, according to WLTX. So far, they have donated about 15 bikes to Fast Forward, a community technology center.

Many veterans using the center face transportation issues, according to Dee Albritton who works at Fast Forward.

The bikes that were donated were unclaimed property and most needed minor repairs, with a few needing more costly repairs. The police also donated helmets and bike lights. 

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor