In Brief: March 17, 2015

SC State board fires former SC State president

SC State University President Thomas Elzey was fired Monday after a judge permitted the school's board of trustees to terminate his four-year contract, according The State. 

Elzey was put on paid administrative leave last month, and he sued for breach of contract when he was no longer able to negotiate with the SC State Trustees. According to his contract, he'll be owed $400,000 if he is fired without cause.

Elzey sought a motion to stop his firing because he feared the damage to his reputation, however Circuit Court Judge Edgar Dickson turned down the motion Monday. Dickson said the contract allowed the current board to fire the president.

Trustees named interim Provost Franklin Evans as the acting president.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor 

Police searching for person who stole $3K worth of underwear

A person in Rock Hill stole women’s underwear valued at $2,275 from two display cases in a Victoria’s Secret store, according to The State.

Bras and panties were among the stolen goods, and they were taken from the shop sometime between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.  Friday, according to the report that was filed by the store’s staff on Saturday.

Police are still trying to obtain the surveillance video of the incident. As of Monday, no arrests had been made.

The undergarments have not yet been recovered. 

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor

Columbia police searching for suspects in high school student shooting

Columbia Police are searching for suspects after a C.A. Johnson student, Eric Washington, was shot and killed Sunday night, according to The State. Columbia Police Chief Skip Holbrook said Monday that Washington got involved in an argument with two others while playing basketball and they arranged to meet Sunday night to settle it.

That night, they fought again, and shots were fired at Washington. One of the shots hit Washington in the head. He was transported to the hospital where he died from his injuries. He was due to graduate in May to continue his career in the National Guard.

CPD has asked for the public’s help as they continue to look for the suspects.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor