In Brief: March 24, 2015

240 elevators recalled due to crushing hazard

An elevator sold exclusively by Coastal Carolina Elevators in Columbia, South Carolina is being recalled after it was found that the elevator could operate while the gate door is open, WLTX reported.

The unsafe operation poses a crushing hazard. Three reports of such operations while the door is open have been submitted to the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Coastal Carolina Elevators. In November 2014, a child visiting Myrtle Beach suffered a head injury due to the hazard.

240 of these elevators were sold. Owners of such elevators are urged to immediately discontinue use and contact Coastal Carolina Elevators for a free repair.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor 

New legal drama film to shoot in Columbia

A new legal drama movie will be shot in Columbia later this year, WLTX reported.

The new film will be entitled “REP” and is due to begin production at various Columbia locations in the summer. The plot will focus on an attorney who is dealing with the biggest case of his career and struggling in his personal life. It will star Tony Grant, an actor and Grammy-nominated recording artist. 

Charlotte attorney Ken Harris and actress Debra Terry are the writers for the film. Kenny Thomas, who played in the NBA for 11 years, will also be involved in the film.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor 

Horry County medic unit crashes while transporting patient, driver cited

An Horry County Fire Rescue medic unit driver was cited after disregarding a stop sign and causing a vehicle crash while transporting a patient, The State reported.

Sheri DeBari was driving the ambulance when she failed to stop at the stop sign.The ambulance crashed into another car driven by a 56-year-old man. Additional fire engines and medical units were called to the scene to help patients get out of the vehicle.

All of the patients were transported to Grand Stand Regional Medical Center and were in stable conditions after the crash.

— Lauren Shirley, News Editor