Student found dead in off-campus residence, Pi Kappa Alpha suspended

A member of USC's Pi Kappa Alpha chapter was found dead Wednesday, prompting the chapter to cease operations, Justin True, communications director for the fraternity, confirmed.

The chapter was placed under administrative suspension and is cooperating with ongoing investigations headed up by the Columbia Police Department and Richland County Coroner, according to a release.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts said the coroner's office received a call at around 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, saying an 18-year-old man was found dead in a house on Lee Street.

Watts said there were no signs of trauma and will perform an autopsy and toxicology tests. CPD Spokesperson Jennifer Timmons said there were no signs of foul play Wednesday afternoon and the incident was deemed a "suspicious death."

The autopsy is scheduled for 9 a.m. Thursday.

USC has yet to confirm the student's identity, as Chief Communications Officer Wes Hickman said the university is waiting on Watts' report.

"There are a lot of rumors out there about the circumstances surrounding the death, but at this point, the matter remains under investigation," Hickman said in an email Wednesday afternoon. "While we await further information, we are focused on helping our community grieve and heal."

Hickman said USC is offering support services to anyone in the community in need of them.