Healthy Carolina Farmers Market kicks off for summer semester

Students, faculty and staff grazed for fresher options at the first Healthy Carolina Farmers Market of the summer semester on Tuesday. Set up in a colorful semi-circle of tents and tables on Davis Field, vegetable farmers, candle makers and grits enthusiasts endured the June heat and humidity for the sake of healthy eating.

“We’re here so students, faculty and staff have easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables,” Healthy Carolina coordinator Shaena Rouse said. Rouse also said the farmers market continues to run in the summer to offer local goods and to promote sustainability.

Even though campus is populated by fewer people during the summer, business has been steady. 

“Summer is usually a little bit slower,” Rouse said.

The weekly vendors at the farmers market are just as devoted to Healthy Carolina’s objective. The Veggie Patch’s stand, a vendor based in Neeses, South Carolina, is run by Margie Williams. 

“We come to help the summer students and faculty,” said Williams before describing to a customer the virtues of Silver Queen and Silver King, different types of sweet, white corn.

For some vendors though, the season’s heat is unkind to the product. Paulette Nation-Miller, who is in the business of uniquely crafted hats and candles, was representing her company, January Remington. 

Despite the smaller student population on campus, there was still a fair number of people at the market seeking home-grown produce.

“I feel like it’s a good place to get healthier options and avoid junk food,” Victoria Milligan, a second-year business student, said. 

For second-year international business student Tristan Hester, coming to the farmers market is as simple as piecing together his next meal.

“I’m looking for lunch and I’m thinking about buying a watermelon because I like watermelon,” Hester said.

The Healthy Carolina Farmers Market will be out on Davis Field every Tuesday from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., through July 28.