Student Body VP proposes new committee

At Wednesday's Senate meeting, Student Body Vice President Lee Goble suggested the formation of a special committee to explore making changes to the constitution and formation of student government.

The discussion to create such a committee began around July after the SEC Student Government Exchange. The changing of the constitution is a common point of discussion almost every year, but the legislation is never created before the current Senates’ term is over. This year Goble hopes to change that. The reasons for this committee are accountability, efficiency and precedent according to Goble. 

“The committee is here to give the Senate more of a voice, and give everyone a place to go add their input,” Goble said.

Certain members of the Senate are concerned with the committee having too much power and too much control over the changes possibly being made to the Constitution, along with being able to choose who is on the committee. One of the possible appointees for the committee, President Pro Tempore Ross Lordo, addressed these concerns.

“If I am on this committee, I would make sure that what we talk about in open discussion is what goes in the legislation,” Lordo said. 

Lordo explained in order to be transparent and avoid making these concerns a reality, the minutes to weekly committee meetings will be posted for all to see. Alongside this, any senator will be eligible to nominate themselves for the committee as well as provide input during open discussion. The goal is to create a better Senate and make it possible to better serve the student body. Goble estimates that the discussion for what changes should be made to the constitution will take Senate open discussions over the next two to three weeks.

Other topics on the agenda at the meeting include the recognition of Patrick Walters and Gettys Brannon for their win at the FLW College Fishing National Championship in April and the Louisiana State University Student Government for their efforts to make USC feel at home after the last minute game change from the flood.