Brief: University confirms safety of students in Paris amidst chaos

A crowd gathers for a vigil in honor of the victims of terrorist attacks in Paris at Lafayette Square, outside the White House, on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015, in Washington, D.C. People gathered in cities around the world to show support for Paris following the coordinated assault that left at least 129 people killed and more than 350 injured. (Olivier Douliery/Abaca Press/TNS)

University of South Carolina President Harris Pastides confirmed via Twitter Sunday morning that all USC students in the Paris area have been accounted for following the multi-pronged terrorist attack that crippled the French capital Friday evening.

“It has been confirmed that all USC students in Paris are accounted for and safe,” Pastides' message read. “We stand in solidarity with the people of Paris.”

The Associated Press reports that one American college student, 23-year-old Nohemi Gonzalez of California State University, Long Beach, was killed in the attacks. The U.S. State Department has acknowledged that there are multiple American citizens amongst the injured, but no specific numbers have been given.

In total, 129 casualties have been confirmed with hundreds more still hospitalized.

More than 80 of the confirmed casualties occurred at the Bataclan Arts Center where a hostage situation at a rock concert ended with multiple suspects killing the hostages before killing themselves with explosive belts.

Additionally, there were multiple suicide bombings outside the National Soccer Stadium where France and Germany were playing a friendly match. French President Francois Hollande was in attendance at the game, but he was evacuated to safety without harm.

There were startling reports of another shooting in the city Sunday afternoon, but they have since been dismissed by authorities as a false alarm.

In total, seven suspects are dead and a warrant has been issued by French authorities in pursuit of an eighth.