In-Brief: 11/23/15

US soldier from SC dies in Iraq

The State reports that Pvt. Christopher Castaneda of Fripp Island, South Carolina, died in a noncombat incident while serving at the Al Asad Air Base in Iraq Thursday. Castaneda, 19, was deployed to Iraq in August as part of Operation Inherent Resolve combating ISIS terrorists. His previous duty assignment was Fort Drum, and Castaneda received six awards for his service. The U.S. Army did not provide any further details of the incident besides “non-combat related.”

—Compiled by Mary Ramsey, Assistant News Editor

Presidential hopefuls discuss criminal justice reform at Columbia HBC

Republican presidential hopeful Ben Carson and democratic candidates Bernie Sanders and Martin O’Malley participated in a forum on criminal justice at Allen University Saturday, according to The State. Sanders and O’Malley both spoke about institutional racism within the criminal justice system. Carson broke step with other Republicans by agreeing with Sanders and O’Malley on issues surrounding mandatory minimum sentences for drug-related offences and restoring the right to vote to felons. Carson also spoke about his experiences growing up as an African-American in a high poverty area and addressed his earlier comments about the need for an immigrant database.

Democrat upsets Republican Senator in Louisiana governor’s race

CNN reports that Democratic state Rep. John Bel Edwards beat U.S. Senator David Vitter in the election for Louisiana governor this Saturday, the first time a Democrat has won a Deep South governorship in 12 years. Edwards won by a 12-point margin, and he will succeed Republican Bobby Jindal. Much of the campaign centered on a prostitution scandal involving Vitter that dates back to the D.C. Madam leaks of 2007. Vitter announced in his concession speech that he will also not seek re-election to the U.S. Senate in 2016.