Students salute servicemen and women, veterans

Veterans Day, a national holiday marking the end of World War I, honors all past and present United States military annually on Nov. 11.

Several events will be held by both the University of South Carolina and by the City of Columbia to commemorate this day.

The 37th annual Veterans Day parade will be held in downtown Columbia starting at 11 a.m. on Wednesday. It will begin at the intersection of Sumter and Laurel streets, ending at Pendleton Street near the Statehouse, according to the City of Columbia website.

“The annual Veterans Day Parade is held to show our veterans how much we appreciate their service and dedication to this country,” Shireese Bell, public information and community relations specialist for the City of Columbia, said in an email. “It is our honor to recognize those men and women who have made sacrifices, both in war and in peace.”

The parade’s marshals this year are the Vietnam veterans, and the parade will be hosted by the City of Columbia and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of South Carolina, also according to the City of Columbia website.

“The parade consists of 92 groups, which include high school bands, floats and military vehicles,” Bell said.

The University of South Carolina will host a Veterans Day breakfast honoring veterans Wednesday morning. The breakfast will be from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. in the Russell House Ballroom according to the sc.edu website. Those interested must RSVP at the sc.edu website, at events5@sc.edu or by calling 777-6568.

Also on Wednesday, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Greene Street, students will have the chance to show their appreciation for those who serve or have served in the military by taking part in Operation Gratitude. Students can write a note sharing their appreciation for veterans. McKissick Museum will collect the notecards and send them to veterans and active military.

Other events for veterans on Nov. 11 include free admission to the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden with a military ID card, according to the Riverbanks Zoo and Garden website. Many local Columbia restaurants are also offering free or discounted meals to veterans on this day, according to WISTV.