In-Brief: 1/20/16

Water main break triggers West Columbia poultry plant boil water advisory

A West Columbia poultry plant is under a boil water advisory following a water main break that was also responsible for major traffic delays in the area, according to The State. The break occurred Tuesday morning near Sunset and Jarvis Klapman boulevards. While no other water customers are affected by the advisory, residents are encouraged to avoid the area as officials work to discover and repair the leak at the source.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Supreme Court to review Obama administration deportation policy

The Washington Post reports that the U.S. Supreme Court will hear a case regarding President Obama's executive order staying the deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants this session. The case, which is expected to be heard in April, concerns the Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents Act (DAPA). DAPA is a program that allows approximately four million undocumented immigrants to remain in the U.S. and apply for work permits given they meet the criteria of having been in the U.S. for a minimum of five years and having committed no crimes.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

University of Cincinnati to pay multi-million dollar settlement to family of man killed by campus police

The University of Cincinnati has reached a settlement with the family of Samuel DuBose, the unarmed African American man killed by a campus police officer in July, according to The New York Times. The settlement reportedly includes restitution of $4.85 million to the family as well as an on-campus memorial, undergraduate education for DuBose's children, a public apology from University President Santa J. Ono and the inclusion of the DuBose family in conversations about policing procedures. The officer who shot and killed DuBose is facing murder charges.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor