In Brief: 2/15/16

Camden homeowner charged in death of 17-year-old

The State reports that a Camden man was denied the Stand Your Ground defense and charged with voluntary manslaughter in the shooting death of a 17-year-old who was allegedly burglarizing the man's truck. Kershaw County officials said that the death of Brandon Scott Spencer was not self-defense on the part of Jimmy Joe Methe because Spencer was fleeing the scene at the time of the incident. The Stand Your Ground law only allows for deadly force in cases where an individual or the individual's family is facing an imminent threat of death or harm. Methe is being held at the Kershaw County Detention Center and will have a bond hearing Monday.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Local fire captain charged with assault of fellow firefighter

City of Columbia Fire Department Capt. Jeffrey D. Rish turned himself to CPD Friday and faces charges of second degree assault and battery following an October incident with another firefighter, according to WIS. Rish, who has been with the department for 16 years, is accused of touching a co-worker without permission while working at Department Station 11. The victim reported the incident to CPD in January. Rish is on investigatory suspension from the department and faces up to three years in jail and/or a fine of up to $2,500 if convicted.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Woman attacks husband with knife on Valentine's Day

The State reports that a Richland County woman was charged with criminal domestic abuse after attacking her husband with a knife on Valentine's Day morning. Deputies arrested Vivian Jeffery after she cut her husband multiple times in the upper body. The husband was reportedly trying to prevent Jeffery from slashing his tires. The husband was treated for nonlife-threatening injuries at Palmetto Health Richland.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor