New CrossFit gym near campus welcomes students

<p>The new 12,000-square-foot facility is located less than a mile and a half from campus across Founders Park Baseball Stadium.</p>
The new 12,000-square-foot facility is located less than a mile and a half from campus across Founders Park Baseball Stadium.

CrossFit Iron Mary’s recently opened its third location, a 12,000-square-foot facility less than a mile and a half from campus across from Founders Park Baseball Stadium.

The gym's owner, Donald “D.K.” Kidwell, describes CrossFit as “functional fitness that gets your body into position for doing the uncommon commonly well and incorporating your body into all-around fitness.”

CrossFit incorporates functional training, strength training and high-intensive interval training through group workouts. Iron Mary’s offers a variety of programs, including endurance training, beginner's programs, sports training and a kid's program.

For Ali LaDuca, third-year computer information systems student, the group workouts provide support and companionship that she hasn't found elsewhere.

"Though I've had my share of workout partners at any regular fitness facility, the encouragement the CrossFit community contributes is incomparable," LaDuca said.

Iron Mary’s proximity to campus is not only advantageous for the business but for students as well. Kidwell’s “pro-student” gym offers a student and military discount that will give students access to any of the gym’s three locations. First-year broadcast journalism student Taryn McLees finds that of the gym's amenities, the gym's flexible times have helped her the most.

"(They) have early and late classes so that people can make time to go before or after their school day starts," McLees said. "I get up at 5:30 a.m. and go to the gym before my classes. I’m finding that I’m a morning person.”

Iron Mary’s has partnered with USC to offer a PEDU 100 class that teaches the foundations of CrossFit for credit hours. LaDuca finds that this course “acts as an introductory course, making it perfect for beginners or any students interested in trying out CrossFit.”

Along with the gym’s involvement with students, Iron Mary’s gym hosts events and competitions that benefit those in the community. These events include the Police Olympics in March, which honors the police force, and the Clash of the Amazons in June. Kidwell hopes that with the new location, the gym will break into the market of college students.

“(I want) to be the best in Columbia,” Kidwell said when asked of his goal for the gym. LaDuca and McLees think that CrossFit has already made an impact on their lives.

“CrossFit reiterates the importance of being proud [of] yourself and your successes no matter how small those feats may seem,” LaDuca said.