In Brief: 3/7/16

Goose Creek man charged with two murder counts in connection with shooting

A man from Goose Creek has been charged with two counts of murder after he was accused of shooting two people over an unpaid cab fair, Associated Press reports. James Edward Loftis, 39, was charged Sunday. The police report says that Loftis took a cab home late Saturday night and shot the cab driver and another person after they knocked on his door asking for payment. He buried the victims in his backyard. Loftis was arrested after his wife called the police saying that her husband was suicidal and claimed to have killed two people.

Lexington County man sentenced 35 years for 2013 murder

Lexington County resident Worth Edward Cook III has been sentenced to 35 years in prison for the 2013 murder of David Diblasi, The State reports. Diblasi's body was found buried in Cook's yard. The autopsy showed that he had been stabbed 12 times. Cook was arrested eight days after Diblasi was last seen, and he was on probation at the time after convictions for burglary and manufacture of methamphetamine.

Union woman faces charges after throwing knife at teenage son

A Union woman is facing charges after drawing and throwing a knife at her son, WIS reports. Onetia Rena Owens, 44, was arrested Sunday at her home. The victim stayed at his aunt's house Saturday night, and his mother was already upset when he arrived back home Sunday. Police said that the victim tried to gather some clothes to take a shower when Owens got a knife from the kitchen and approached him. She threw the knife at him, but missed. The victim was not injured.