In Brief: 3/2/16

Former SC football player running for Congress

The State reports that former South Carolina football player Fran Person will look to unseat Rep. Mike Mulvaney in the South Carolina 5th Congressional District. The 33-year-old Democrat of Tega Cay worked for Vice President Joe Biden for many years following his graduation from South Carolina with a degree in political science and international studies. He returned to South Carolina in 2014 as a special assistant to university President Harris Pastides and athletics director Ray Tanner. His work focused on student-athlete well-being. Person resigned the position in February. Mulvaney was elected to Congress in 2010 as part of the the Tea Party movement, and the 5th District includes much of the York County suburbs of Charlotte.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Center for abused children gets new home

The Dickerson Children's Advocacy Center, an organization that works with law enforcement and social services, will move into a new facility in Lexington, according to The State. The 20-year-old organization was previously housed in West Columbia. Officials from the center say the new centralized location puts them closer to law enforcement, allowing for faster responses. The center worked with over 500 children last year.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

City of Columbia issues yearly Water Quality Report

WIS reports that the City of Columbia has reassured residents of the safety of city water in its annual Water Quality Report. A statement from the city acknowledges recent questions about lead levels in public water systems "in light of recent national and local concerns." The city also announced that they will offer free lead testing to citizens with copper pipes that may contain lead, and this service can be scheduled by calling the City of Columbia Customer Care Center.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor