In Brief: 3/21/16

Local woman identified as victim of Lexington County fire

The victim of a Springdale home fire has been identified as 54-year-old Wanda Yates Adkins of West Columbia, The State reports. Adkins and a pet were found by firefighters in the home Saturday morning. Two other female victims escaped from the fire, one of whom required treatment for smoke inhalation at a local hospital. Springdale police are investigating the fire along with SLED, and the coroner said an autopsy will be performed.

Local high school basketball coach dismissed

WIS reports that Westwood High School has dismissed head boys basketball coach Terry Dozier. The school's athletics director and principal cited "administrative mistakes" as the reason for dismissal. The issues reportedly stemmed from mistakes surrounding paperwork, such as letting players practice without having physicals on file. Dozier, who had been the head coach since the school's opening in 2012, remains a staff member at the school. Players were informed of the decision Friday.

Myrtle Beach man charged with attempted murder

WMBF reports that a 39-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder as well as domestic violence and two counts of resisting arrest following an incident at a Myrtle Beach hotel. Myrtle Beach police officers responded to reports of trespassing at an oceanfront hotel on Saturday night, and the man reportedly grabbed hold of his wife's arm when she reached for her keys. The officers then attempted to arrest the man, at which time he assaulted the officers.