In Brief: 4/4/16

Hit-and-run victim said to be in stable condition after being dragged along road

Columbia police are searching for a driver who hit a woman and dragged her several yards early Sunday morning, The State reports. They are treating the incident as a hit-and-run attempted murder. Surveillance footage shows the female suspect's car hitting the 18-year-old victim and dragging her along for several yards before driving away. The victim was taken to the hospital for treatment of severe issues, and police said Sunday afternoon that she is in stable condition. Witnesses said that the suspect and victim were arguing shortly before the incident.

Second suspect arrested in I-20 shooting

Another suspect has been charged in connection with last week's shooting on I-20 in Lexington County, The State reports. Brandon Coleman, 22, is the second person to be charged, along with Kyle Pratt, 17, who was arrested last week. Both suspects face seven counts of attempted murder for firing a pistol and hitting three cars. One person was hit but not seriously injured. Coleman has also been charged with one count of possessing a firearm during a violent crime, one count of possessing a firearm by a person convicted of a violent crime and three counts of firing shots into a vehicle.

Officials identify missing Lake Murray boater found dead Sunday morning

The Lexington County Coroner identified the boater found dead on Lake Murray as Jonathan Scruggs, WLTX reports. The 26-year-old was found wearing a life jacket near Goat Island around 10 a.m. Sunday. Almost a dozen boats from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources and the Newberry Fire Department were searching for Scruggs. The search began Saturday night after Scruggs and another boater were out on the lake and their boat overturned. The other boater was able to swim to safety and get medical attention. The incident is under investigation.