In Brief: 4/13/16

Richland County faces lawsuit over FOIA dispute

A watchdog group is suing Richland County over alleged violations of the Freedom of Information Act, The State reports. S.C. Public Interest Foundation's complaint, filed Monday, claims the county failed to furnish records requested in February regarding the county's penny sales tax program. South Carolina laws require public bodies to respond to FOIA requests within 15 days, but they are not required to release the documents within that window. Richland County and Richland County Council Chairman Torrey Rush are the named defendants in the case. The group claims they contacted Rush after 18 days of no contact and didn't hear back for two more days. 

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Man arrested in connection with fatal Columbia shooting

A suspect has been arrested after a shooting that left one dead and two injured at a Columbia apartment, WIS reports. Roosevelt McLaughlin is charged with murder in the death of 24-year-old Shannon Weston, as well as two counts of attempted murder. Officers say they responded Tuesday to a domestic disturbance in which McLaughlin had forced a woman and her two sons into a room and opened fire, killing one of the sons and wounding the mother and brother. Both were hospitalized, but their injuries were not severe. McLaughlin is being held at the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Cardinal Newman redevelopment vote postponed

Forest Acres officials deferred a final vote on what to do with the land that housed the former Cardinal Newman School to May 10, The State reports. The City Council gave initial approval to the new commercial development in March, but they now say they need more time to evaluate traffic concerns. Officials will consult with engineers about possible solutions as well as discuss further how to pay for traffic solutions. The company behind the development, The Beach Co. of Charleston, has submitted a plan to offset the traffic impact. This impact is estimated at 2,400 more cars per day.

— Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor