In Brief: 4/18/16

Newberry superintendent killed in crash

The superintendent of Newberry County schools has been identified as the victim of a Saturday accident that also involved a Newberry County sheriff's deputy, The State reports. Officials say superintendent Bennie D. Bennett was ejected from his vehicle and died at the scene of the accident near Newberry High School. The condition and identity of the deputy have not been made public. Bennett was a 10-year veteran of the school district. South Carolina Highway Patrol and the coroner's office are still investigating the accident.

Missing Richland County teen found safe

A missing 13-year-old was found safe by Richland County deputies on Saturday, The State reports. The girl had last been seen by family Monday after leaving her home on Brittany Park Road in northeast Columbia, and Richland County officials had requested public assistance in locating her. She was found near Columbia Mall Boulevard and appeared unharmed.

New details released in North Charleston murder

The owner of a North Charleston bar was denied bond at a hearing over murder charges, WIS reports. Details from the hearing alleged that Rolando Aldama-Ocampo killed 22-year-old Jose Rolando Martinez Castro in November and hid the body behind his establishment, La Bomba. Court records indicate that Aldama-Ocampo confessed to the crime and to using pool salt to mask the body. Aldama-Ocampo also faces charges of possession of cocaine and trafficking methamphetamine. He received a $30,000 bond on these charges and disputed some of the charges against him in court.