In Brief: 6/17/16

Columbia woman arrested for mail theft

A surveillance video at 1100 Wheat St. apartments captured a woman stealing mail from multiple mailboxes. Columbia police arrested the woman, 56-year-old Rita Payne Smith, and she is charged with petit larceny, possession of master keys and malicious injury to property, WLTX 19 reports. Smith is accused of snatching bills, invitations and other paper mail from mailboxes that are not her own. The video captured her throwing much of the stolen mail in the trash can by the mailboxes, and the motive is still unknown.

Probation lifted for SC State

After being placed on probation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges and fearing a possible loss of accreditation, South Carolina State University had its membership restored by the commission on Thursday, WIS reports. The probation was issued primarily on account of the university's financial struggles. State legislators forgave the university of $12 million in loans and scheduled a separate loan of $6 million at 16 years. SC State held a conference Thursday evening formally announcing its full accreditation through 2020.

Employee accused of spending $30k in company credit

A Richland County woman is charged with breach of trust after charging nearly $30,000 to a company credit card of her then workplace, Air Advance Heating and Air Conditioning, WIS reports. According to investigators, 55-year-old Valoree Corbett used the company card for personal purchases such as electronics, furniture, vacations and bills, and reportedly also transferred $10,000 from the company credit card into her bank account.