In Brief: 7/2/16

Judge rules compromise in penny sales case

The South Carolina Revenue Department alleged that Richland County officials misused sales tax revenue. The county then took the Dept. of Revenue to court over its deliberate withholding of collected sales tax. ABC Columbia reports that in a Thursday ruling by Circuit Judge Thomas Cooper, Jr., both the county and the Dept. of Revenue walk away with something. The department will act on the original allegations and continue to investigate, but will have to release the money to Richland County that they had withheld.

Shaw joins Chicago Bears

After being released by the Cleveland Browns, former USC quarterback Connor Shaw will join the Chicago Bears. "DaBears lets get to work! God is great!" Shaw tweeted Friday. Shaw is the winningest quarterback in the history of the Gamecocks. He was a member of the Cleveland Browns for the 2014 and 2015 seasons, starting in just one game. In Chicago, he will play with former USC teammate Alshon Jeffrey.

Emanuel AME survivors sue FBI

Those who survived the shooting at Charleston's Mother Emanuel AME Church last year are suing the FBI on the grounds that Dylann Roof, the alleged shooter, obtained his weapon through federal failure. Because Roof's criminal record shows a drug arrest prior to the shooting, the survivors say that he was unqualified to purchase a firearm. FBI Director James Comey promised a full review of the process, The State reports.