In Brief: 7/11/2016

Megachurch pastor removed over personal issues

The Rev. Perry Noble was removed from his post as senior pastor at Newspring Church, The State reports. Executive Pastor Shane Duffey announced the termination at Sunday services. He said the decision was made by the church's Board of Directors and that it was based on "unfortunate choices" Noble had made related to alcohol. Noble was the founder of the Anderson-based megachurch that currently has 17 locations across the Palmetto State, including three in the Midlands.

Police intervene in Greenville Black Lives Matter protest

Greenville Police made the decision to intervene in a Black Lives Matter protest Saturday night, WLTX reports. The decision was made after protesters announced their intention to shut down portions of Interstate 385. Several protesters were also arrested for refusing to get out of a street, and police said protest organizers had originally decided not to disrupt traffic.

South Carolina chief justice quarrels with Statehouse over judiciary funding

Costa Pleicones, a South Carolina Supreme Court chief justice, slammed the general assembly for its treatment of the judiciary branch in a scathing e-mail to legislators, The Post and Courier reports. Pleicones said the legislature's "dismissive treatment" of judiciary branch funding puts the court's future in jeopardy. He specifically cited the House Ways and Means Committee and Senate Finance Committees for executing a "pre-ordained charade" to under-fund the courts.