In Brief: 7/16/16

Boater convicted after crash killed USC student

A boater has been found guilty after a 2014 crash on Lake Marion killed then USC senior Hailey Bordeaux. Chad Morris was found guilty of negligent operation of a boat and failure to render aid at the scene of a crash. A judge sentenced him to 5 years in prison. Morris was also charged with reckless homicide by boat, but was found not guilty.

SLED agent fired, charged with domestic abuse

State Law Enforcement Division Chief Mark Keel fired agent Rodney Sinclair Bostick on Friday. Bostick is alleged to have committed acts of repeated domestic abuse against his live-in partner, The State reports. According to Bostick's arrest report, the 26-year-old agent threatened to kill his partner, has thrown furniture at her and choked her with her son nearby. Bostick is charged with counts of kidnapping, domestic violence and misconduct.

Motorcycle accident kills 1, injures 2

A vehicle collided with a motorcycle on North Main Street on Thursday evening, leaving two injured and one dead. The vehicle attempted a left turn onto Mason Road and hit one of two motorcyclists traveling at high speeds, ABC Columbia reports. The initial collision caused the vehicle to hit the second motorcyclist. All involved were taken to a hospital. One of the motorcyclists was injured and the other was killed. The Columbia Police Department reported that the motorcyclists were not wearing helmets. The incident is still under investigation.