In Brief: 7/31/16

Court block North Carolina voter ID law

A federal court ruled that North Carolina's controversial voter ID law is discriminatory, The State reports. The ruling may have reverberations throughout the 2016 election cycle and beyond. The 4th Circuit Court of Appeals blocked the law on the basis it violates both the Voting Rights Act and the U.S. Constitution by making it harder for minorities to vote. North Carolina is a hotly contested swing state in the 2016 presidential election, and the ruling may also affect similar laws in other states.

Myrtle Beach interstate expansion under review by Army Corps of Engineers

Plans to expand bring a new interstate to the South Carolina coast are once again under review by the Army Corps of Engineers, WIS reports. The proposal to build the four-lane project, known as interstate 73, to the Myrtle Beach area will be addressed by the Corps and the state Department of Health. Members of the public can submit comments through Aug. 8.

Spurrier returning to UF

After more than a decade in the Palmetto State, Steve Spurrier is going home, The Post and Courier reports. The winningest coach in Gamecock football history was a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback and national championship winning coach at Florida. He'll return to The Swamp as an ambassador for the UF Athletics Department, a role similar to the one he took on at USC after resigning as head football coach. The HBC promised to continue to support the Gamecocks in every game but their annual matchup against the Gators.