Athletics Hall of Fame class announced

Nine Gamecock legends will make their way into the USC Athletics Hall of Fame this fall. This year's group of inductees include current MLB starter Justin Smoak, NFL receiver Sidney Rice and the late Jim Carlen, former head football coach and athletics director.

Smoak, who is fifth all-time in the SEC for home runs and started every game of his three year career with Carolina, is this year's youngest inductee. He was a first round pick in the MLB draft and is now in his seventh professional season.

Rice earned All-SEC and All-American recognition during his time in the garnet and black from 2005-2006 before launching a successful career as a receiver in the NFL.

Carlen recruited South Carolina's lone Heisman Trophy winner, George Rogers, as well as the school's first NFL first round draft picks. He led Gamecock football to three bowl games, one more than the school had ever competed in when he took the reins in 1975.

All-American catcher Ryan Bordernick, Gamecock volleyball's first All-American Shonda Cole, football record holder Bo Davies, All-ACC receiver Jimmy Mitchell and champion golfer David Seawell were also elected to the class of 2016. In addition, multi-sport coach Billy Lavel will be inducted posthumously. 

Inductees are selected by members of the USC Association of Lettermen. 

The induction ceremony will be held in late October, and the inductees will also be honored at Williams-Brice Stadium that weekend during the Gamecock's game against U-Mass.