Bierbauer stepping down at end of academic year

<p>Dean Charles Bierbauer oversaw various projects and initiatives in his position, including the School of Journalism and Mass Communication's move to its new facility.</p>
Dean Charles Bierbauer oversaw various projects and initiatives in his position, including the School of Journalism and Mass Communication's move to its new facility.

Charles Bierbauer is stepping down as dean of the College of Information and Communication at the end of the upcoming academic year. The search for his replacement will begin shortly, according to a release issued Wednesday by the university.

The release did not provide a reason for the move, and Bierbauer noted on his Twitter on Thursday morning that the "R-word" is not being used.

He joined the university in 2002 as the dean of the College of Mass Communications and Information Studies just as the college was created by a merger of two separate schools. He saw the college renamed the College of Information and Communication and led the School of Journalism and Mass Communication to its new facility on Sumter Street. He also taught classes in the journalism school and led the Cocky's Reading Express literacy initiative.

Before coming to Carolina, Bierbauer was a prominent journalist for decades for ABC News and CNN. He is best known for his coverage of Eastern Europe during the Cold War.

Throughout his tenure at USC, Bierbauer's influence reached beyond his college. He moderated and participated in various forums and lectures and served as interim vice president for communications from 2009 to 2010.