In Brief: 8/02/16

Prominent SC Dems slam Haley over Trump controversy

South Carolina Republicans are facing fresh criticism for their support of Donald Trump, The State reports. Minority Leader Todd Rutherford called for Gov. Nikki Haley and Lt. Gov. Henry McMaster to withdraw their support after the candidate's inflammatory statements about a military family that spoke at the Democratic National Convention. The family, who are practicing Muslims and lost a son in the Iraq War, critiqued Trump's call for a ban on Muslim immigration, and the Republican nominee and the family have been sparring in the media ever since.

SLED investigating officer involved shooting in Lexington County

One suspect is dead after an incident involving a Lexington County Sheriff's Deputy, WIS reports. The officer reportedly shot the suspect after the suspect hit him with his car. The car was reported stolen, and the suspect was also wanted on drug charges. The deputy was treated and released. He is on paid administrative leave as the State Law Enforcement Division investigates the incident.

July 2016 hottest on record in Columbia

2016 officially had the hottest July on record in Columbia, WLTX reports. The average temperature of 87.19 degrees beat out the previous record from 1993 by more than a full degree. The city also reached triple-digit temperatures 17 days, another record. Summer 2016 is set to be the hottest summer on record in the city.