In Brief: 8/17/16

Memorial service held for River Bluff football player

The River Bluff High School community came together Monday to mourn Lewis Simpkins, The State reports. Simpkins, just 14-years-old, died last week after collapsing at a River Bluff football practice. Simpkin's coach and many others spoke at the service held at Word of God Church. Simpkins died two weeks short of his 15th birthday at a local hospital after an evening football practice. The cause of death is expected to be determined later this week. 

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

Former Gamecock involved in fight at NFL practice

Alshon Jeffrey was in a tussle with a New England Patriots player at an NFL practice on Monday, WIS reports. Jeffrey, now with the Chicago Bears, had to be separated from Patriots cornerback Malcolm Butler during the joint practice between the two teams ahead of their preseason match later in the week. A facemask from Butler on the former Gamecock football star reportedly sparked the incident. Both benches cleared and Butler was ejected from the practice.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey

USC track standout just misses medal at Rio Olympics

Former USC track star Natasha Hastings finished fourth in her individual race at the Rio Olympics, WLTX reports. Hastings fell out of medal contention in the last 75 meters of the women's' 400-meter dash after she was passed by Jamaica's Shericka Jackson. Fellow American Allyson Felix won the silver medal in the same race. Hastings is expected to be a part of the American team for the 4x400 meter relay, an event in which she has meddled at previous Olympics.

-Compiled by Mary Ramsey