In Brief: 8/25/16

SCDP renaming Jefferson and Jackson dinner

The South Carolina Democratic Party is changing the name of the annual Jefferson-Jackson Dinner amid criticism, The State reports. The party will drop the names after this year's event, scheduled for September. Although both former presidents are considered founding members of the party, SCDP had been criticized because both also owned slaves and Jackson oversaw a great deal of persecution of Native Americans including the "Trail of Tears." The State Executive Committee will come up with a new name for the event.

—Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Family sues Department of Corrections over inmate death

The family of an inmate who died at Lee Correctional Facility in 2015 is suing the Department of Corrections, WIS reports. The suit accuses the Department of wrongful death, emotional distress and gross negligence in the death of Victor Rogers. Rogers, who according to his family also suffered from mental illness, died of a kidney infection in March 2015. He was found on the floor of his cell in a pool of his vomit, and reports allege that Rogers had been sick for days but never received any care. The Lee County Coroner's Office confirmed that Rogers would have been sick before his death.

—Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Man charged over Convention Center bomb threat

One man has been charged after a bomb threat against the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center was called in, WLTX reports. Michael Shadow was arrested late Tuesday afternoon over the incident. He is charged with making the threat that shut down streets around the center for part of Tuesday. A search of the facility by law enforcement found no hazardous materials.

—Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor