In Brief: 9/29/16

Three wounded, suspect arrested in SC elementary school shooting

A 14-year-old suspect is in custody after shooting two six-year-olds and a teacher at Townville Elementary School, WACH Fox reports. One student was shot in the leg and another in the foot. The teacher was shot in the shoulder. The suspect is also believed to have killed his father before the shooting. The father's body was found on a road about 3 miles from the school. Anderson schools will be closed for the rest of the week. The suspect was contained by an unarmed volunteer firefighter. 

–Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Columbia councilwoman dies of cancer

Columbia councilwoman Leona Plaugh lost her battle with a rare cancer of the leg Wednesday, WIS reports. She was 66 years old. Plaugh was diagnosed in 2014, and she had her leg amputated in 2015. A USC alumna, Plaugh was elected in 2010 after serving as Columbia's assistant city manager and city manager. She entered Hospice care in July.

–Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Man wanted for fraud in Richland County

Richland County sheriff's deputies are searching for a suspect in a string of fraudulent purchases at stores in Richland, Orangeburg and Lexington counties, WLTX reports. Authorities believe the same man bought hundreds in products from two Publix grocery stores on Sept. 9 using a cloned credit card and did the same thing at stores in Orangeburg and Lexington counties. Anyone with information is asked to call to call Crime Stoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC.

–Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor