In Brief: 10/01/16

Elementary school shooter charged, victim on life support

The 14-year-old accused on murdering his father and shooting three people at an Anderson County school was officially charged Friday, The State reports. He was charged as a juvenile and faces one charge of murder and three counts of attempted murder. One of the victims, 6-year-old Jacob Hall, was put on life support. The boy's family also revealed he has brain damage due to extreme blood loss.

UPDATE: Jacob Hall succombed to his injuries Saturday afternoon. He was six-years-old.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Company fined for I-26 renovation delays

One company is facing millions in fines over construction delays on I-26, WIS reports. The Department of Transportation decided to penalize the company for a series of delays in renovations to the main thoroughfare between Columbia and Charleston to the tune of $10,000 for each day of delay. The fine is already over $3 million.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

MUSC disputes cheating reports

The Medical University of South Carolina denied reports of a cheating epidemic, The Post and Courier reports. MUSC sent out a campus-wide email Friday denying the allegations. A report by The Post and Courier alleged that multiple students were caught cheating but weren't dismissed due to their relationships with public officials. Some MUSC students have started a petition calling for an outside review of the story.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor