In Brief: 10/7/16

SC voter registration deadline extended ahead of Hurricane Matthew

Hurricane Matthew's possible effects are giving South Carolinians extra time to register to vote, WLTX reports. Residents will now have until Sunday to register online, and applications will be accepted with postmarks as late as Oct. 11. Applications can also be faxed or emailed up until Sunday at 11:59 p.m. In-person registration has been affected because some county registration offices have had to close due to the weather. Applications delivered in-person are still due by Saturday.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Obama commutes SC inmate sentences

Four South Carolinians were among 102 felons who saw their sentences commuted by President Obama on Thursday, The State reports. A commutation of sentence shortens the length of a sentence served but does not pardon the crime. All four of the inmates, two of whom were are from Columbia, are in prison over crack cocaine charges. Such drug charges are at the center of the argument over mandatory minimum sentencing, which critics say punishes non-violent offenders too harshly.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor

Soliticitor wants Townville shooter tried as adult

The 10th Circuit solicitor's office is officially trying to charge the alleged Townville Elementary shooter as an adult, WIS reports. Officials filed the petition in court Thursday, and a hearing will be held in Family Court to decide what to do. The 14-year-old alleged shooter was arraigned as a juvenile Sept. 30 on two counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder and five weapons charges.

- Compiled by Mary Ramsey, News Editor