Trustees hear from Gamecock baseball, approve 11 construction projects

default news
default news

USC's Board of Trustees convened Friday to discuss everything from baseball to building conditions as part of their monthly meeting. 

New head baseball coach Mark Kingston was introduced to the board by athletics director Ray Tanner. Kingston briefed the Board on his coaching background and took questions on a range of issues, from his coaching philosophy to the state of the Gamecocks' bullpen.

The chancellor of USC's Beaufort campus told trustees they are in "good shape" following impacts from Hurricane Irma.

The board voted in favor of 11 constructions projects, including a third wing to the Honors College Residence Hall and a parking garage on the west side of campus near Greek Village. These and two other projects received just "Phase I" approval because they will cost over $1 million, and therefore also need Statehouse approval.

Seven other projects, including renovations to Colonial Life Arena's trophy displays and men's basketball's practice facility locker rooms, were also approved by trustees.

All projects were approved unanimously, though student body President Ross Lordo urged the board to recognize displeasure among the Greek student community over the fees the students are paying to fund the new parking garage.