Recap: Student Government cabinet goes into executive session, discusses diversity, key weeks

Student Government cabinet moved into a private executive session during its Tuesday night meeting. Student Body President Luke Rankin said they discussed accountability and the roles that each member is expected to fulfill. Rankin said the goal of the private meeting was for members to speak more freely without media in the room and to commit to their roles.

"I just wanted to have a quick, you know, 'Hey, let's talk, let's set down the ground rules,'" Rankin said. "This is what I expect, this is the accountability measure that we all have and we need to follow this."

The rest of the meeting, Student Government discussed Diversity Week, KEY week and accountability within its staff.

This week Student Government is celebrating Diversity Week, and Rankin said the week encompasses diversity of expression, race, ethnic, sexual orientation, learning disabilities and more. 

"Diversity Week, what's so important, to me, in this, is it's not, diversity is not one form," Rankin said.

Diversity Week continues with Hip-Hop Wednesday and ends with a three session story event about diversity called ThisIsUSC, according to Darius Stephens-York, deputy secretary of inclusion and equity. The three session event is a celebration of diverse speakers discussing how their lives have been shaped by their identity.

The cabinet also discussed KEY (Knowledge Empowers You) Week, which focuses on preparing students post-graduation for the professional workplace. Student Body Vice President Sophie Davish spearheaded KEY week, which concludes Thursday.