Board of trustees hires new governance consultant

The board of trustees held a meeting this morning via teleconference call, hired a new governance consultant and passed everything on its agenda.

Cameron Howell will be the new governance consultant and will help the new governance committee to “review best practices for strengthening existing policy,” USC spokesperson Jeff Stensland said in a text. 

Howell’s experience involves a multitude of academic administration fields, including Title IX, executive searches and accreditation.

Howell previously served as the vice president for strategic initiatives of the University of North Carolina System Office in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, from 2017 to 2019.   

Howell will be paid no more than $3,500 per week. The board still needs to decide how long he stays at USC. 

Most of the agenda included name changes to programs, articulation agreements between USC Columbia and different colleges, and multiple changes and new programs at USC Aiken and Upstate. 

The College of Engineering and Computing in Columbia also received a new certificate program in artificial intelligence. The program requires 12 hours of graduate study with “at least half,” according to provost Tayloe Harding, of these courses being 700 or above and requiring CSCE 580 artificial intelligence to enter. Students are required to take 18 hours to be eligible for financial aid.