USC announces first chair of public service, civic engagement fund supported by Boeing donation

<p>Associate Professor Bobby Donaldson speaks to the crowd after being selected as the first recipient of the endowed chair on Thursday morning on Oct. 20, 2022. An endowed chair is considered one of the highest honors a USC faculty member can receive.</p>
Associate Professor Bobby Donaldson speaks to the crowd after being selected as the first recipient of the endowed chair on Thursday morning on Oct. 20, 2022. An endowed chair is considered one of the highest honors a USC faculty member can receive.

Bobby Donaldson, the founding executive director of the Center for Civil Rights History and Research and an associate professor, was named the first James E. and Emily E. Clyburn Endowed Chair of Public Service and Civil Engagement on Thursday. 

An endowed chair is considered the highest honor a faculty member at USC can receive, and according to the university's website "are prestigious term appointments for scholarly achievement and distinction within a specific departmental unit."

“His scholarly and civic pursuits are highly intertwined in ways that make contributions to a large community, and particularly the African American community in South Carolina, and here in Columbia," Joel Samuels, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said. "Those contributions are every bit as significant as his contributions to the university and the academic profession.” 

The chair is supported by a $1.5 million gift from Boeing and was announced at the Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library. 

Donaldson said he plans to continue to support the Center for Civil Rights History and Research with the aid.

"The center is always seeking new resources and support, and to have the investment and the support of Boeing is incredible," Donaldson said.

Donaldson graduated from Wesleyan University with a degree in African American studies and a Ph.D in American history from Emory University. He has held multiple fellowship positions and was a consultant for museum exhibitions, archival collections, oral history initiatives, documentary films and historic preservation projects like the renovation of Booker T. Washington High School.

He previously served as Faculty Principal of Preston Residential College before he was selected as the director of the Center for Civil Rights History and Research.

The endowed chair is named after U.S. Congressman James E. Clyburn and the late Emily E. Clyburn in recognition of their work regarding civil rights. Donaldson said he was deeply honored to be named the first recipient of the fund.

“It is especially meaningful to me that this chair is named for two outstanding individuals who met during the civil rights movement and who began their careers as a history teacher and a librarian in South Carolina’s public schools,” Donaldson said.

James and Emily Clyburn were both heavily involved in their communities and participated in leading marches to end segregation, fighting for poverty relief, securing funds for HBCUs and more.

Congressman Clyburn thanked Boeing for their contribution and said he hopes to continue to work together with them.

"I want to thank you, Boeing, for this tremendous commitment," Clyburn said. "I hope that we can work together and fulfill the promise." 

University President Michael Amiridis said this endowed chair will have a positive impact on the future of USC. 

“This is why the University of South Carolina remains firmly committed to supporting and advancing the vital mission of our Center for Civil Rights History and Research for the benefit not only of current scholars, but also for future generations," Amiridis said.