Emmie Thompson announced as new student body president

<p>Third-year public relations student Emmie Thompson and second-year finance and marketing student Abrianna Reaves pose together as the University of South Carolina’s new student body president and vice president on Feb. 22, 2023. Thompson and Reaves campaigned together as running mates for the election.</p>
Third-year public relations student Emmie Thompson and second-year finance and marketing student Abrianna Reaves pose together as the University of South Carolina’s new student body president and vice president on Feb. 22, 2023. Thompson and Reaves campaigned together as running mates for the election.

Emmie Thompson will become the next student body president, the elections commissioner announced on Wednesday.

In addition to Thompson, the student body elected Abrianna Reaves as student body vice president, Cameron Eubanks as speaker of the student senate and Hannah Augsbach Lamma as treasurer. 

The results of the race for speaker of the student senate were announced an hour after the other candidates due to an elections violation was filed against Eubanks for a campaign message sent in a large group chat. After convening with the candidates, the violation was dropped, and the elections commission announced Eubanks had won. 

"The candidates, myself or Jordyn Vélez, did not know about the election violation. And we mediated through the violation, and it was withdrawn," Eubanks, a third-year international studies and criminal justice student, said. "I am feeling very excited, a little bit emotional. Just because, I was telling my staff, we've literally been working for months."

As part of his campaign, Eubanks said he plans on focusing on attainable issues in Student Government rather than larger, more divisive topics, as well as creating a more positive community within student senate. He said his first goal in office is to get to know the executive officers. 

Thompson ran alongside Reaves with the promise of “putting students first.” As part of her campaign, Thompson said she would focus on providing discounts on parking passes and Ubers, adding chargers to Williams-Brice Stadium, reworking Carolina Core classes and emphasizing communication between Student Government and the student body.

"I feel very humbled that the students put their trust in me," Thompson, a third year public relations student, said. "This is a really incredible moment for me, just to see the passion behind the initiatives we had and the passion of the team has just been absolutely incredible." 

As she enters the office, Thompson plans to immediately begin filling her staff and calculating how Student Government's budget can be used to achieve her goals. 

Thompson's opponent, Reilly Arford, currently serves as deputy director of the It's On Us initiative against sexual assault. Despite the loss, Arford said he wants to run for the director position and continue his time in Student Government. 

"I hope (Thompson and Reaves) take what they say is their motto to heart and actually put students first, and by putting students first, putting students in positions where they belong, which is higher up cabinet positions, giving more communities a voice in Student Government and not just put their friends to those positions," Arford said. 

Reaves, who ran unopposed, said that she is excited to surround herself with a staff representative of the student body.

"It's honestly just not something that I could have imagined myself doing years ago, but really I'm just so excited to serve this university," Reaves, a second year marketing student, said. "It's crazy that it's real, and I'm so proud of our entire team. Like I said, I can't wait to do everything that I planned in office."

As vice president, Reaves said she hopes to focus on bringing sociable culture back to Student Government, as well as making the organization more approachable for students.

Augsbach Lamma, who ran against Brandon Badinski for treasurer, was not present at the announcement, as she is in Florida for a competition.

During her campaign, Ausgbach Lamma said she wants to streamline the funding request process for students as well as keep communication open between student organizations and Student Government.

"She really just wants to build that strong community in the student body, and just overall, be that listener and that person that people can come to with questions," Natalia Berti, Augsbach Lamma's campaign manager, said. "And also just planning events, like a really good financial or a really good treasurer's workshop, along with just listening to what the students want out of the entire role and position." 

Inaugurations for each of the elected members will take place on Wednesday, March 22.