Dance Marathon announces $1 million goal

For their 20th anniversary, Dance Marathon is setting their sights on the $1 million mark. In addition to the normal fund raising, additional donations this year will be put towards the Dance Marathon at the University of South Carolina playground at the Palmetto Health Children’s Hospital.

The goal was revealed on Wednesday with an unveiling on Greene Street.

Participants hope this playground will not only help the community but will also increase exposure, making the million dollar goal achievable this year and in the future. Fourth-year psychology student and Dance Marathon president Jax Boucher is optimistic about the organization’s growth in the community.

“The whole purpose of the playground is to really promote the healing process of the families and their kids and the playground is specially designed," she said. "It’s one of the first in this area that will be accessible with IV poles, hospital beds, as well as wheelchairs.”

To reach their goals, Dance Marathon staffers will spend an average of an hour a day to raise funds. As for their registered "heroes," they at most would ask for five minutes a day and have resources to help them achieve their goals. Once registered, a hero will receive tips from staff members on fundraising, including how to draft personal emails to donors.

“I like to send very personalized emails and Facebook posts," she said. "So last year I made a Facebook post and tagged 20 different people but for each of their names I ... explained how they impacted my life and they were really excited about that, that they got a shout out, and then they all donated.”

There will also be events leading to the marathon to further aid in reaching this year's goal.