USC quarterbacks coach suspended

G.A. Mangus arrested for nuisance conduct in Greenville

South Carolina quarterbacks coach G.A. Mangus has been suspended indefinitely after being arrested for nuisance conduct early Tuesday morning in Greenville, S.C.

“G.A. has been suspended from all coaching activities until this matter is resolved,” said USC coach Steve Spurrier in a statement. “We are disappointed in his actions and will handle it accordingly.”

According to a Greenville City Police Department incident report and multiple media reports, Mangus was seen by two officers in an unmarked police car “facing Main Street urinating on the street curb and roadway” at 1:31 a.m. outside of the Carolina Ale House restaurant. When an officer called to the scene by the two officers arrived, the report stated he observed Mangus to be “unsteady on his feet” and with “a strong odor of alcoholic beverage coming from his person.”

The report further stated that Mangus’s eyes “appeared to be dilated and glazed over” and his speech was “slurred” as he was “uncooperative” in answering police questions before he was handcuffed and taken to the Greenville County Detention Center. Mangus was held overnight before being released about 10 hours later after a 9:30 a.m. hearing. Mangus will be fined $470 for the incident.

Mangus declined comment when asked by Greenville’s WYFF-TV outside of the detention center after being released. Mangus was in Greenville to attend the South Carolina Athletic Coaches Association All-Sports Clinic according to The State newspaper.

Later on Tuesday, Mangus released a statement through the USC Athletics Media Relations department.

“Last night I acted irresponsibly, and I deeply regret my actions,” said Mangus in the statement. “I take full responsibility. I would like to publicly apologize to coach Spurrier, (Athletics Director) Eric Hyman, the entire team and everyone associated with the University of South Carolina.”

This coming season, which officially begins a week from today on Aug. 3 with the first preseason practice, will be Mangus’s third at South Carolina. Mangus came to USC from Middle Tennessee State, where he served as offensive coordinator for three seasons.

A native of Richmond, Va., Mangus played quarterback at the University of Florida, including two seasons under then-UF coach Spurrier. He has gained a reputation as a top recruiter due to his success in securing USC commitments from the Northeastern states, and he is widely regarded as a major reason for embattled and currently suspended quarterback Stephen Garcia’s on-field improvement over the last two seasons.