In Brief: 11/24/15

Two men charged in murder of Indianapolis woman

According to CNN, the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) have charged Larry Taylor, 18, and Jalen Watson, 21, of Indianapolis in connection with the murder of Amanda Blackburn, 28, during a home invasion on Nov. 10. Federal marshals, IMPD violent crimes detectives and the gangs unit worked in cooperation to solve the break-in and shooting of Blackburn, who was the wife of Indianapolis pastor Davey Blackburn and was 13 weeks pregnant with their second child at the time of her death. Weston Blackburn, the couple’s one-year-old son, was home at the time of the incident, but was unharmed. Davey Blackburn, who discovered his wife shot after returning home from the gym, released a statement Monday commending the detectives and officers in the case and issuing his hope that justice will prevail, but also that he is “deciding to love, not hate.”

Belgian capital on lockdown following manhunt of Paris attacks suspect

After five unsuccessful raids were carried out Monday by police in Brussels, Belgium, the capital city remains in a pseudo-lockdown, according to NBC News. The police were in search of  Salah Abdeslam, potential accomplice to the Nov. 13 attacks in Paris. According to Belgium Interior Minister Jan Jambon, approximately 1,000 officers were working during the overnight raids of almost 20 properties after citizens of the Belgian capital were ordered to shelter in place Sunday night. After the Paris attacks that left 130 people dead, Abdeslam is believed to have fled France to neighboring Belgium, which has forced Belgian officials to place the capital on highest alert and level with tight security measures to avoid what they say is an imminent threat to the city.

Man attempting to rob store in Vader costume stopped by salad dressing

Fox News reported Monday that Jacksonville, Florida, police have arrested a man who attempted to rob a convenience Sunday wearing a Darth Vader costume and wielding a pistol. Jacob Mercer, 32, was charged with attempted armed robbery of Jacksonville Beach’s 8 til Late store wearing the mask of the Sith Lord and demanded cash from the store’s cashier with pistol in tow. The cashier grabbed a nearby bottle of salad dressing — it is unconfirmed what flavor — and threw it at the robber, striking him in the face. Mercer fled the scene but was identified by a bystander because of the cuts on his face from the dressing bottle.