In Brief: 3/1/16

Intersection to be renamed in honor of former officer 

State lawmakers have approved the renaming of an intersection in Forest Acres in honor of Greg Alia, an officer killed last year while responding to a call, according to WLTX. The intersection, located on the corner of Beltline Blvd. and Forest Drive, will be called the "Officer Gregory Thomas Alia Intersection."Alia, 32, was killed near the intersection after responding to a call of a suspicious person at Richland Mall on Sept. 30. Alia was a member of the Forest Acres Police Department for seven years.

Midlands receives $157 million for flood recovery

A total of $157 million in federal aid will be distributed from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development to several South Carolina communities to assist in the flood recovery efforts, WIS reported. These funds are meant to help with unmet housing, economic development and infrastructure issues in many homes and small businesses that were damaged in the October flood. Columbia is getting nearly $20 million of the funds and will be monitored to make sure the spending meets government regulations.

Richland councilman charged with DUI

Richland County Councilman Kelvin Washington has been charged with driving under the influence after his involvement in a wreck on Saturday morning, according to The State. Washington hit another vehicle on Bluff Road. The passenger of the other vehicle suffered serious injuries including severe bleeding in the pelvic area. The victim's family attended the hearing on Sunday but did not comment. Washington left jail following his hearing.