Couple makes headlines for unique engagement photos

<p>Although Simpson made the first move, the couple agrees the sparks began to fly all the way back in Math 142.</p>
Although Simpson made the first move, the couple agrees the sparks began to fly all the way back in Math 142.

A student couple recently made national headlines for their unique take on their engagement photos. Fourth-year math student Stephanie Simpson and fourth-year geophysics student Ethan Anderson took their engagement photos in the same Math 142 classroom in LeConte that they met in last year. 

The idea originally came from their photographer, Trevor Mercer.

“I thought it was a great story, and since they are still students, maybe we could get access to the classroom for a quick engagement session. We just took that concept and brainstormed some good ideas like passing the note and writing on the chalkboard. We had a great time and I loved the pictures we got!” Mercer said.

The two share a love for Christmas and math, and that’s how they chose their wedding date of Dec. 14, 2016 at 18:20 military time. 

“The math aspect of it means the most to us, really," Simpson said. "That’s how we met that’s taken up so much of our lives together. It’s never gonna stop. Math will always be there for us."

At the beginning of the spring 2015 semester, Simpson switched into the same recitation as Anderson to give herself the opportunity to talk to him. The two got to know each other and grew closer after the passing of professor Raja Fayad gave them an opportunity to connect and discuss the tragedy. 

Six months later, Anderson proposed at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because of their shared love for classic rock. They chose 701 Whaley as their venue. That’s where they found Mercer’s business card, and he gave them the idea for the shoot. 

“[Mercer] liked the fact that I was a math teacher, and he liked the fact that our date had math significance," Simpson said. "And so he wanted it to be significant to us and significant to what brought us together, and that’s what led us to the classroom." 

At first, the couple doubted they would even take engagement photos because they are still students and saving money for their honeymoon, but Mercer offered to do the photos for free if they would be willing to do something more themed for his portfolio.

A couple of weeks after the pictures were taken, the two were contacted by ABC News who wanted to feature them in its lifestyle section. 

“We were visiting his parents, and I just ran down stairs in my pajamas like you guys aren’t gonna believe this!” Simpson said. "I would’ve never guessed that this would’ve happened.”

Anderson and Simpson hope to move on from South Carolina after graduating and are applying for masters programs. They agree their meeting was definitely by chance, but it was Simpson who asked for Anderson’s phone number first. 

“I would definitely encourage all my ladies: Don’t wait for no man to ask you for your number … Don’t feel like you need to wait on a man. Just go for it. What are you gonna lose? You’re not gonna lose anything,” Simpson said.