Scott, Gowdy join Trump transition as Harrison gets key DNC endorsement

A pair of prominent South Carolina Republicans are jumping on board the Donald Trump transition team.

Sen. Tim Scott will serve as one of seven vice chairs of the transition, and Rep. Trey Gowdy was chosen for the transition's executive committee. 

The move will give both men sway in helping to shape the Trump administration, especially when it comes to the transition's work to staff the West Wing. 

Scott and Gowdy are also rumored to be interested in running for governor and lieutenant governor of the Palmetto State come 2018. Scott called Gowdy his "best friend in Congress" and said his decision on whether to run will be driven by "God, my family, and Trey Gowdy" in a recent interview with The Post and Courier. 

On the other side of the aisle, South Carolina Democratic Party chair Jaime Harrison is still making headlines in his run for chairperson of the Democratic National Committee.

Harrison picked up a big-time endorsement from his former boss and fellow South Carolinian Rep. James Clyburn, a true power player in the Democratic Party. He also announced a new campaign initiative to create a vice chairmanship designated for someone under the age of 35 as part of his broader push to bring a younger voice to party leadership.